Friday, February 19, 2016

God Requires Unquestioning Obedience And Acceptance

Exodus 23:20-22 - “See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared.  Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him. If you listen carefully to what he says and do all that I say, I will be an enemy to your enemies and will oppose those who oppose you. 

God had finished giving Moses the details of how to carry out his law. His final directions included staying away from false witnesses….not showing partially just because someone was poor…treating strangers with respect and love…and resting and  giving thanks on the 7th day…even letting a field rest the 7th year as well.

Then God promised to send an angel before them as they traveled.  This angel would prepare the way before them as they traveled toward Canaan. They would have many enemies…for God was giving them land that pagans had established large cities.  God wanted them to know that the task of taking over the land would be his…all they had to do was obey him and keep the laws he had just given Moses.

God did us one even better than this…he gave us the Holy Spirit. He lives within us and can guide us in all that we do.  We just have to acknowledge that the spirit is a part of us…and call on it to help us when we need it. Its power is unlimited.  Its love is as deep as Christ’s…for they are one.

There is a catch to using this wonderful gift.  It requires unquestioning obedience and acceptance. There is forgiveness of our sin now that Christ became our salvation…but we miss entirely too many blessings because of our disobedience.  Sometimes I am guilty of missing the message entirely…too distracted by some selfish project or task to stop and even listen.

I needed the reminder to listen carefully to the still small voice that God placed inside of me to help me know his will…and spend more of my time in praise and worship of the God who gave me life.  I sure need…and want others to have the list of blessings that Moses recorded in verses 25 and 26.  They say… “Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you,  and none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.”


Father…thank you for the reminder that you require of me unquestioning obedience and acceptance of all that you ask me to do.  Forgive me for the times that I let selfishness cut my time with you short…or I let life distract me from the tasks you have given me to do.  Help me to focus so intently on your voice that I hear all that you ask me to do….and learn to be obedient…even unto death if needed. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment