Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Mercy Came Down...And Love Fulfilled The Law

Exodus 21:23 – 25 -  But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life,  eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,  burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

God continued his talk with Moses…detailing how he was to judge the specific breakages of his law.  The chapter is very detailed…with specific punishments for  releasing bought servants after 6 years of service….treatment a wife that was unwanted … premediated and accidental murder….even how to compensate someone if you injured their animal.

As I read each situation…my heart kept thinking that this time allowed for no mercy. Anything done as a premediated thought was judged harshly…eye for eye…hand for hand…life for life. I couldn’t help thinking that our world would be a better place if many of these punishments were still in place…but then God reminded me that these punishments didn’t work 100 percent back then either.

God had to put in place his last resort plan.  Let me quote John 3:16…one of the only verses I know completely by memory. It says… “God so loved the world …that he gave his only begotten son…that whosoever believes in him….will not perish but have everlasting life.” Verse 17 explains just a bit further what he meant to accomplish with this gift to us. It says… “for god sent not his son into the world to condemn it….but to save it through him.”

I am so thankful and glad that God put this plan into action so I can see the great effect that mercy has on a world that seems to be controlled by evil. Without mercy…sin runs unchecked…chokes out what little love may be in a place.  With mercy…love is magnified into a power so strong it can break the chains of evil with a whisper of Jesus mighty name.

I realize that I will battle evil as long as God allows me life on this earth.  My battle is not against the people that are controlled by sin.  It is a battle against the creator of evil itself.  Ephesians 6:12 says… “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”

I needed the reminder that God loves the sinner and hates the sin. I am to love others so boldly and fully that they see the great power of God to save them from the world of sin that they think they are trapped in…no matter what that manifests in their life.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you love me…you love all your creation so much that you gave your only son to be my pardon for sin.  Forgive me for the times that I limit your love through me…because of fear…or hate…or simple indifference.   Help me to use the discernment you can give me to love all people…and help you free more people from sin with you powerful love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment