Saturday, February 13, 2016

Hold Others Up In Prayer

Exodus 17:11-13 -  And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.  So Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.

The Amalek people came to fight the people of Israel while they camped at Rephidim. Moses chose Joshua to chose men to take to battle…while he and Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill to watch their progress. Moses realized that while he held up the rod of God they were  victorious…but if he let it down they suffered losses.  It was a long battle…and Moses arms became heavy…it would have been impossible for him to physically keep them up for the whole battle.  So his friends helped him. They did the work of holding up his hands so Moses could concentrate on praying the Israelites to victory.

It is a reminder to me that we are to be each other’s prayer warriors.  We may even need to provide some physical help to others when they are in need. Jesus told us in Matthew 18:19… “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.” And Solomon added to this wisdom in Ecclesiastes 4:12 .. “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

I am so very guilty of trying to be too independent.  It runs in my family … so to speak. I needed the reminder to never try to handle …even the small things…by myself. I have no problem asking my sweet prayer warriors to join me on the biggies…there is after all nothing too big for God to handle. I just have to learn that the small things that make my heart sad…or lonely...or hurt eventually add up to big things if I let them accumulate. I just bet that I am not the only one that feels this way.  The reminder then…is not just to ask for help for myself…but to always consider the needs of others. Perhaps I can be a Hur….or Aaron to someone else.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I am to hold up others needs in my daily prayers.  Forgive me for the times that I focus to much on myself and miss the opportunity to petition you for someone else’s needs.  Show me new ways to reach out to others that are afraid to ask for help…so your love can shine some victory over the battles with life that keep them bound. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment