Thursday, February 11, 2016

God Teaches Us To depend On Him For all Our Needs

Exodus 15: 22-25 -  So Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea; then they went out into the Wilderness of Shur. And they went three days in the wilderness and found no water. Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called Marah.   And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet.

As they left the area of the Red sea and traveled toward the promised land…water was hard to find. They had been traveling three days…and found water at Marah…but it  was too bitter to drink. They complained and Moses prayed….and God led Moses to a tree that would turn the bitter water sweet if it was thrown into the bitter water.

It began a long series of situations that God used to teach and train his people to depend on him instead of the world around them. They had seen his power and glory….in ways that no man had ever seen before…yet they doubted on a continuing basis that God could provide for their daily needs. It had only been three days since they had worshiped and praised God in a song so great …all of its words were recorded….but now they seemed hopeless…defeated by the simple lack of water.

How quickly our heart lets go of the full feeling we have when God is blessing us with good things…when he allows us to experience a time of hardship or sorrow.  It is the selfish flesh side that wants life to be a breeze….easy…smooth sailing from one season to the next.  But God knows that these easy times of life don’t teach us new things about how to depend on him.  They trick us into thinking that we can exist without his help.

God knows what we need before we discover it ourselves.  He is constantly working a plan that gives us what we need…while he teaches us to depend completely on him. I admit that it is very hard to do…I resemble these complaining Israelites so many times. I needed the reminder that I only need to cry out to God to help me.

My help might not come in the simplest form that my finite brain thinks of…it will come in the form of a lesson.  God did not hand the Israelites a cup of pure water…Moses had to take a tree and throw it in the bitter water. God wanted them to see his power was not limited to the mighty works they had seen in Egypt and at the Red Sea.  God’s bag of miracles is bottomless….always ready to provide for the simplest of needs they had.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you know how to provide for my needs.  Forgive me for the times that I let life trick me into whining and complaining about the things I think are wrong in my life.  Help me to accept your teaching moments when I cry out to you for help…so I can learn to depend on you completely and trust that you always have my best interest in mind. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment