Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Draw As Near To God As He Will Let You

Exodus 20:20-21-  And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.” So the people stood afar off, but Moses drew near the thick darkness where God was.

The people had watched Moses draw near to the cloud where God had come to meet with them.  They only heard the first of what he said…the rest was loud thunder and lightning strikes and smoke. What they heard as thunder…Moses heard as the 10 laws that God gave his people to live by.  What they saw and heard gave them a feeling of fear….but to Moses it was plain and simple words from God’s own mouth.

The key to hearing God’s voice is in verse 21…Moses drew near to God. He came as close to God as he would let him…and learned to talk to him like any other man.  Moses met him on a mountain…felt the same fear that the people did here….and allowed God to turn that fear into a holy reverence for the power that he could give him to do what God had called him to do. 

I admit that I am tempted to be afraid many times.  I also admit that I let fear get the best of me more than I remember to follow Moses advice here.  Thank God…he eventually gets through to me….and helps me past whatever I was afraid of. He draws me near…even when I am too afraid to walk closer myself.

I needed the reminder that I have the power within me to stop the feelings of fear that satan tries to throw at me.  I can have the same confidence that Moses had to walk up to God as close as I can. That Bible he gave me…and the ability to pray are key to moving in his direction.  I believe that fellowship with other believers and corporate worship are essential too.  I can hear that old hymn playing in my head…Nearer, my God to Thee, nearer to Thee E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me.”


Father...thank you for the ability to come near to you.  Forgive me for the times that I run farther away…or simply freeze where I am.  Teach me how to have the confidence of Moses…to walk as close as you will let me…so I can be empowered to do your will at all times.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment