Friday, March 11, 2016

Give Back...Share What God Has Given You

Leviticus 3:9-11 -  ‘Then he shall offer from the sacrifice of the peace offering, as an offering made by fire to the Lord, its fat and the whole fat tail which he shall remove close to the backbone. And the fat that covers the entrails and all the fat that is on the entrails,  the two kidneys and the fat that is on them by the flanks, and the fatty lobe attached to the liver above the kidneys, he shall remove;  and the priest shall burn them on the altar as food, an offering made by fire to the Lord.

Moses spent an entire chapter sharing God’s directions for a peace offering. I had to study a bit…and the best way to summarize what I read from several commentaries is that this offering was a free-will offering to God that simply gave thanks to God for some mercy….or was an offering they added as a way to let God know their true heart in a petition of prayer. The offering could be male or female with no blemishes…and was offered to God on the altar in much the same way as others.

The neatest thing about this offering to me was how it was shared not just with the priests…but a portion was given back to the worshiper to share with family and friends. God got what was considered to be the best of the animal…the inside organs…the blood and the fat. The worshiper gave some of them eat to the priest and took some home to share with anyone he chose.

Perhaps the Lord’s supper was God’s way of keeping this mindset going after Jesus fulfilled the law.  He became the last sacrifice needed…but as he tried to explain to his disciples just what was about to take place…he emphasized how important it was for us to remember him….how he allowed his body to be broken for us…and how his blood was shed to make atonement for our sins.

God still wants us to fellowship with him and other people. We don’t have to kill an animal on an altar and sprinkle blood …or give portions to him…but we can still share what we have with others.  Sometimes that sharing gives support to a family that just buried a loved one.  Sometimes that sharing creates a way to fellowship and get to know others.  Sometimes that sharing simply provides for someone we know is having a rough time making ends meet.

I needed the reminder that God does not want me to stock pile and store more than I need.  He provides more than some of us need so we can continue to spread his love when we share it with others. I can testify that when I listen to God telling me to share what I have with someone…the blessing I get back is so much more than what I gave away. The blessing is hardly ever a tangible thing….but a infilling of contentment and peace. It was called a peace offering.

Perhaps that is what Hannah felt as she gave Samuel back to God that day at the temple. Her peace offering included 3 animals and some grain. She was so at peace with her decision for Samuel to be raised in the temple that she wanted God to know how thankful she was to have spent his first few years teaching him about the God that had given him to her.


Father…thank you for the reminder that one way to feel more of your sweet peace…is to make sure my  heart is willing to give back all that you have given me. After all…it all belongs to you anyway. Forgive me for the times that I have not listened to you…and selfishly kept something that you could have used to help someone else.  Help me to listen more intently to the still small voice you place inside me…so I can know when and what you have placed in my hands to help someone else. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment