Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Heart With Which I Give...Is More Important Than the Gift I Bring

Exodus 36:6 – 7 -  So Moses gave a commandment, and they caused it to be proclaimed throughout the camp, saying, “Let neither man nor woman do any more work for the offering of the sanctuary.” And the people were restrained from bringing,  for the material they had was sufficient for all the work to be done—indeed too much.

Once these people’s hearts were stirred…they just couldn’t help themselves.  Every morning they would rise from their sleep and think of one more thing they could give as an offering. The people were so stirred to give what they had that more than what they needed was collected…and as the artists and craftsmen realized this…they asked Moses what to do. Moses had to give them a commandment to stop…proclaiming that they not bring any more offerings.

I sure can’t remember a time in my life that I was so moved to give that God had to tell me to stop. I can think of a few Bible characters that must have experienced this same passion to give all they had.  There was that widow...who gave her last coins to the offering box. ..and there was that sweet woman who poured the most expensive perfume on Jesus feet. (Full stories in Mark 12 and Matthew 26 if you don’t know them.)

These stories and the people who modeled for us how to give completely without selfish thoughts… are vivid reminders to me that when our heart belongs completely to God…there is no limit to what he can do with us. I found this quote in a David Guzik commentary. I don’t know who Morgan is…but here is what he said.  “ When the heart is truly stirred, and the spirit makes willing, giving is robbed of all meanness; indeed, it ceases to be calculating.  Nothing is too precious to be given, no amount too great.”


Father… thank you for the reminder that the heart with which I give… is more important than the physical gift I bring to you.  Forgive me for the times that I have gotten that backwards. Help me to develop the unselfish attitude of these stirred Israelites…the sweet widow…and the woman with the alabaster jar of perfume… so that you can truly use all you gave me to use for you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment