Friday, April 10, 2015

Always Ask For More Faith


Mark 9:21-24 -  “How long has he been this way?” Jesus asked the father.  And he replied, “Since he was very small, and the demon often makes him fall into the fire or into water to kill him. Oh, have mercy on us and do something if you can.”  “If I can?” Jesus asked. Anything is possible if you have faith.” The father instantly replied, “I do have faith; oh, help me to have more!”

 

Jesus had just gotten off the boat that carried Him…. Peter…John and James from the glorious transfiguration experience on the mountain….when they were confronted by a father with a child possessed by a demon.  The disciples that had not gone with Him up the mountain had tried to cast it out with no success. But the father did not give up…he went straight to Jesus and ask if He would do anything to help.  He knew Jesus had the power...but wasn’t sure if Jesus’ compassion would stretch to their undeserving gentile hearts.

 

Jesus already knew that the boy could be completely freed of the demon that had plagued him since he was a small child.  Jesus wanted to make sure that the man knew the power came from his faith in God…and that that faith could do anything if he believed. He wanted this man to vocalize for everyone that had gathered in the crowd around them that he…this gentile looking at the Messiah of the Jews… did believe in the power He had to become the Messiah for all people…not just the Jews.

 

The powerful words this father spoke to Jesus are one of the most powerful statements any Christian can ever speak.  They should be the first admission we all utter when we open our eyes each morning. I know that I believe…but also know that I have trusted Him at different levels in different seasons of my life. I should always be able to admit that my faith can be strengthened even more.

 

When we ask God to increase our faith it is the first step in experiencing the peace that John wrote about in John 14:27….  I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid.”  It is that peace that will carry us through the hardest tasks he gives us to do.  It’s that peace that keeps us from worrying about the future He promised us in Jeremiah 29:11.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I can always have more faith than I think I am capable of possessing at any one time. Forgive me for the times that I let my faith even decrease because I let seeds of worry and doubt cloud the vision you were trying to give me of the blessings you had planned for my future. Help me to always consider that you are willing to give me immeasurably more than I ask for.   Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment