Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Go And Tell The Whole World


Matthew 28:16-20 - Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.  When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.  Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

 

A large stone blocked the details of what happened inside that tomb. I like to think that He rose much sooner than the morning the women went out to visit where they saw Him be placed. I like to think that He conquered death immediately … His perfect spirit splitting hell wide open….His transfigured body… glowing from spending time in the presence of God the father. The angel came down to simply reveal the empty tomb and begin a conversation about His resurrection.

 

The angel told the women to not be afraid…to go and tell the disciples….and they ran to comply with a mixture of joy and fear of what they had seen.  Jesus even allowed them to see Him….appearing to them as they ran to tell the good news….falling to their knees in worship….fear fading completely from their hearts.

 

Jesus met with His followers one last time on a mountain many theologians believe to be the one they had visited before…when they saw the transfigured bodies of Moses and Elijah. He gave them what men have titled the ‘Great Commission’ …telling them to share the story of what had happened to everyone...all over the world. Then He promised to be with them forever…until the end of the world.

 

As the dates I celebrate the three days that form the basis for my faith….I am glad that God allowed me to be one of the ones His story was shared with. He allowed some of the men who witnessed all of this to write down every word so that years later I could read and hear the wonderful story of Christ myself. I am sure that Matthew had no clue that His words would cause so much reflection and touch so many hearts.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your sacrifice did not end in death…but that you are very alive….sitting on the right hand of the Father…interceding for all of us as you promised those disciples long ago.  Forgive me for taking for granted your great sacrifice so many times…and letting my selfish desires keep me from following the last directions you gave to anyone who chooses to follow you. Help me to embrace those words…and find new ways to share with more people the wonderful story of how you provided salvation and eternal life for all. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment