Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Thoughts Do Pollute The Soul


Mark  7:20-23 -  And then he added, “It is the thought-life that pollutes. For from within, out of men’s hearts, come evil thoughts of lust, theft, murder, adultery,  wanting what belongs to others, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, pride, and all other folly.  All these vile things come from within; they are what pollute you and make you unfit for God.”

 

Jesus had been approached by some of the religious leaders that wanted to trap him.  They didn’t get what they bargained for in Jesus’ answer to their questions. Instead of evidence to use for Jesus’ death…Jesus heaped fuel on His accusations of them being hypocrites….chiding them for adding so many extra rules to the laws that Moses was given. 

 

Jesus explained it even deeper when He was alone with the disciples later.  He spoke of how evil gets a foot hold into our lives with our thoughts. Paul wrote in Galatians 5:16-18…. “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you would. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.” 

 

It is a reminder to me to guard my thoughts and try to live by the Spirit He gave me when He saved me at all times. One thought that is against His will multiply into enough to keep me from it if I let that one thought pollute what I know by scripture to be right. I must constantly fight against the will of the flesh if I am to do what God requires and keep my eyes only on Him. And the best way to win the battle is to make sure I always have God’s best interest in mind when I make a choice.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that my thoughts need to be as pure as my life.  Forgive me for the times I have allowed my spirit to be polluted by coveting….selfishness….and greed.  Help me to strengthen the Spirit that you gave me to fight for me by studying and praying even more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment