Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Jesus Knew They Were In Trouble


Mark 6:47-52 -  During the night, as the disciples in their boat were out in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land, he saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning he walked out to them on the water. He started past them, but when they saw something walking along beside them, they screamed in terror, thinking it was a ghost, for they all saw him. But he spoke to them at once. “It’s all right,” he said. “It is I! Don’t be afraid.”  Then he climbed into the boat and the wind stopped! They just sat there, unable to take it in! For they still didn’t realize who he was, even after the miracle the evening before! For they didn’t want to believe!

 

Jesus needed some time to talk with His Father…..some serious alone time where He could speak frankly and soak up the courage and strength he would need for the days ahead.   So He sent the disciples on ahead in the boat to cross back over to Bethsaida and went up the hill alone and prayed. As focused as he was on his prayer…He knew immediately that the disciples were struggling.  And when He knew that they could not handle the winds on their own…He walked out to them on the water.

 

I love the way Mark focuses on the attention Jesus paid to His followers…not the miracle of walking on the water itself.  It is a great reminder to me that God knows exactly what is happening in my life at any one given time.  He watches patiently to see if we have learned enough from previous lessons to handle a situation…and appears just when we need Him to rescue us from our failure. 

 

David knew the omnipresence of God.  He wrote in Psalm 147:5… “Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.” 1 John 3:19-20 says…. “By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.” Those verses speak to my heart that God is always watching out for me…and since His promise is to prosper me and give me hope for the future He has planned…He always has my best interest in mind.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you see everything…and know when it is time to step in and help me. Forgive me for the times that I doubt your promises and think that you are not showing up. Help me to trust in you completely…without any borders….and wait for that moment that you will walk out on the water to save me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment