Monday, April 20, 2015

Belief Is Personal


Mark 16:9-13 - It was early on Sunday morning when Jesus came back to life, and the first person who saw him was Mary Magdalene—the woman from whom he had cast out seven demons. She found the disciples wet-eyed with grief and exclaimed that she had seen Jesus, and he was alive! But they didn’t believe her!  Later that day he appeared to two who were walking from Jerusalem into the country, but they didn’t recognize him at first because he had changed his appearance.  When they finally realized who he was, they rushed back to Jerusalem to tell the others, but no one believed them.

 

The three days following Jesus’ crucifixion were agonizing for His believers. They cowered in hiding…to afraid to venture into public venues….too deep in grief to remember His final words that God would raise Him from the dead to a glory none had ever known before.  Nothing short of personal visit from Him would bring them the joy that these others felt when they realized Jesus was alive.

 

It is still that way today….each of us must encounter Jesus…See God through His eyes of mercy and grace….and let the Holy Spirit fill us with a joy that no other belief can give you.  Even as we begin to accept the last words he gave us to spread His story…some will choose to reject the Savior and never believe what he did to give them everlasting life.

 

It is a reminder to me to do only what God has asked me to do. It is my responsibly to share His story…I cannot make the decision for them. I can share what God has done for me….and then pray for the Holy Spirit to convict them of their need to have God in their lives. It is my responsibility to model for them the closest relationship I can with my God…so that God can use the things they see in my life to help them believe in Him.

 

It was back in Mark 10:22 we are told that even Jesus had to watch sadly as a man walked away from his personal encounter with Jesus…unwilling to give up the idol of money in his life to follow Him. I just bet Jesus whispered a silent prayer to His father to keep working on that man’s stubborn heart. Then he stepped out of that moment and ministered to the others around Him who had not had their opportunity to know Him in a personal way.

 

Jesus won’t return until ALL people have had a chance to make that choice. Matthew 24:14 says…. “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”  That makes it pretty clear to me that my job is to help spread that gospel…by every means that God makes available to me.

 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that each one of us is given at least one chance to know you in a personal way. Forgive me for the times that I have forsaken my responsibility in sharing the joy of Your love and resurrection with others.  Help me to see clearly every opportunity you place in my pathway to share what You have done for me…so we will be closer to the day when ALL people have had an opportunity to know and be changed by your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment