Sunday, April 5, 2015

God Controls Everything....So Why Do I Lack Faith?


Mark 4:38-40 - Jesus was asleep at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. Frantically they wakened him, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you even care that we are all about to drown?”  Then he rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Quiet down!” And the wind fell, and there was a great calm! And he asked them, “Why were you so fearful? Don’t you even yet have confidence in me?”

 

They were crossing the Sea of Galilee when a great storm arose and threatened to overturn the small vessel. Jesus was sleeping peacefully in the back of the boat….not worried at all about the high wind that caused the disciples so much fear. They woke Jesus and shouted their fears at Him…and He immediately rebuked the wind and told the sea to be still.  Then he asked them why they lacked faith in Him.

 

I have heard this story many times…. It is always a great reminder that I tend to underestimate the power that God has to control any situation in my life. I am so like these 12 men who followed Christ everywhere He went for three years ….and didn’t have a clue what power He had at His fingertips.

 

The commentary in my Life Application Bible said we have 2 choices.  We can panic like the disciples and let feelings that God doesn’t care fester and grow in our hearts.  Or we can resist fear…using the faith that God has tried to teach our hearts to trust that He will calm the storms in our lives in His timing.

 

This morning I am so very thankful that Jesus resisted the fear of separation from His Father for three days to rise victorious from the grave. I can’t begin to imagine the pain and loneliness that Jesus must have experienced while God’s great plan was being completed.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that all things are in your control. Forgive me for the times when I have acted like the disciples and shouted at you that you must not care about me because of my lack of faith.  Teach me to trust in you like Jesus did…so I will be able to use the power that he did to overcome fear and be victorious over even death. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment