Saturday, April 25, 2015

If God says Go...Then Go


Luke 5:3-6 -  Stepping into one of the boats, Jesus asked Simon, its owner, to push out a little into the water, so that he could sit in the boat and speak to the crowds from there. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Now go out where it is deeper and let down your nets and you will catch a lot of fish!”  “Sir,” Simon replied, “We worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, we’ll try again.” And this time their nets were so full that they began to tear!

 

Jesus had more than one reason to ask Simon…better known as Peter….to use his boat to preach from that day.  It was the second time that he had crossed paths with this man…and today Jesus would ask him to give up everything to follow Him and help him spread the Kingdom Of God. He that Peter needed just a bit more convincing before He asked Him to change his whole life…so He masterminded a catch of fish that would boggle this tired fisherman’s mind. He showed Peter what happens when we follow God’s directives and become obedient to everything he asks us to do.

 

What a great reminder not to let the failures of our lives dictate the choices we make for our future.  If peter had not followed Jesus’ directions…had not trusted Him to go out one more time for a catch of fish…he would have missed a great blessing. Perhaps even walking away from Christ in that moment because he just wasn’t sure that he was who he said He was. That great catch…that miracle that God produced for Jesus in that moment…was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for Peter. If he doubted before the catch…he now believed with all his heart and soul and mind and strength.  It was just what he needed to leave a life of fishing and follow Jesus.

 

I admit that I am so like Peter ….and I have been that way more than once.  I am saddened when I think of all the blessings I may have missed because I failed to do what God asked me to…or was too busy to stop and listen to His directions in the first place.  God’s been doing a ton of miracles in my life lately…and I am overwhelmed with a feeling that He is sending me out on a mission for Him that will blow the proverbial socks off my feet! I am ready to lay down a 34 year career….sign the papers for a loan for a house back home in Tennessee…and I have no clue why he is sending me there…except to reconnect with my parents and sisters.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that when I follow your calling …you are waiting to show me great miracles and blessings that I could never conceive of with my human mind. Forgive me for all the times that I did not listen…or let fear hold me back from following you completely.  Help me to keep my ears and eyes and heart open and listening to everything you tell me to do in the days ahead…so I get everything exactly the way you wanted it in the first place.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment