Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Taxes Are A Necessary Part Of Life


Mark 12:15-17 - Jesus saw their trick and said, “Show me a coin and I’ll tell you.” When they handed it to him he asked, “Whose picture and title is this on the coin?” They replied, “The emperor’s.”  “All right,” he said, “if it is his, give it to him. But everything that belongs to God must be given to God!” And they scratched their heads in bafflement at his reply.

 

The religious leaders were desperate to trap Jesus with a question that they thought was unanswerable. Their goal was to cause the people to lose respect for him…or to catch Him contradicting the scriptures.  But Jesus knew His Bible so well that He always had an answer that baffled the leaders…and sent them away to rethink their next move.

 

Jesus introduced a thought to the people that gave them a reason to be loyal to God and to the government at the same time. Taxes.... were invented by man to cover the expenses of the leaders in government. Since man had insisted on having a king to rule them…they were a necessary part of life. Jesus added to His explanation that God was due our loyalty too. He needed to be given all that belonged to Him.

 

I marvel sometimes at how God sways my thoughts each day to choose a topic to write about. These chapters in the gospels have at least 5 or more topics embedded in them each day. But today …when I searched the gateway ap I use to copy and paste my scripture…this passage from Romans 13:6-7 popped up as the verses of the day. It says… “ Pay your taxes too, for these same two reasons. For government workers need to be paid so that they can keep on doing God’s work, serving you. Pay everyone whatever he ought to have: pay your taxes and import duties gladly, obey those over you, and give honor and respect to all those to whom it is due.

 

What a double clear message I have received that supporting the government of the country I was placed in to live my life is both a privilege and a duty. America is not perfect…but it is the land of the free…the home of the brave…and the place I am allowed to worship God in the way that I think my Bible leads me each day. My taxes are paid for the year…but if you haven’t you still have time to get them sent in.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you established governments for a reason. Forgive me for the times that I have justified ignoring its rules and regulations because man has let the original purpose of government to degrade and become corrupt.  Give me a heart that prays for the recovery of the institution you meant to bring about a simple earthly justice…and pay my taxes each year with gratitude that you gave allowed me to live in America.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment