Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Read And Study...To Reassure And Confirm


Luke 1:1-4 - Dear friend who loves God: Several biographies of Christ have already been written using as their source material the reports circulating among us from the early disciples and other eyewitnesses.  However, it occurred to me that it would be well to recheck all these accounts from first to last and after thorough investigation to pass this summary on to you, to reassure you of the truth of all you were taught.

 

Luke…a doctor who became a believer and companion to Paul after Jesus ascended to Heaven….combined all the research he did to convince himself that the story of God’s son was true.  He begins with some very important words that all of us should let sink deep in our spirit…and call us to passionate study ourselves….to reassure ourselves of the reason we believe in God…..his son Jesus….and the Holy Spirit that moves among still today.

 

Luke was able to meet and talk with several of the eyewitnesses of Jesus’ family…and many others that experienced the miracles and healings Jesus did in His lifetime. He laid down the science book that helped him become doctor…and adopted a more spiritual view of the work of Jesus among His followers. He was on a quest for the truth…and became one of the 4 gospel writers in the process.

 

I have learned over the last 5 years just how important it is to read and study the Bible for myself. It confirms and reassures me of the things that God needs me to do and believe….as well as exposing misconceptions I may have picked up along my own Christian journey.  I don’t believe things simply because a great preacher…or someone I love says it is so.  I believe it because I can find it in God’s Holy word….the Bible.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to study and find out what the Bible says for myself. Forgive me for the many times I have just taken someone else’s words for fact…without researching it for myself. Thank you for instilling in me a passion to read your word…and write down the insights that you lay on my heart each morning. Help me to never take for granted the time it helps me spend with you each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment