Friday, April 24, 2015

Scripture Tells Us What To Do And When To Do It


Luke 4:1-4 - Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan River, being urged by the Spirit out into the barren wastelands of Judea, where Satan tempted him for forty days. He ate nothing all that time and was very hungry.  Satan said, “If you are God’s Son, tell this stone to become a loaf of bread.” But Jesus replied, “It is written in the Scriptures, ‘Other things in life are much more important than bread!’”

 

Jesus had just been baptized into His ministry on earth….His Father speaking His blessing and the Holy Spirit becoming a part of everything he would do from this moment on. Jesus was not led into a time of rest and easy living….but a time of fasting….reflection….and temptation. It was a time that He began to see the importance of the scripture he had studied.  It was a time that he discovered the strength and power He had and the right reasons to use it.

 

It is a reminder to me that becoming a follower of Christ does not guarantee an easy life.  It does mean that we inherit the power and strength of the Holy Spirit to teach… guide… strengthen… and comfort us. It is our responsibility to soak up as much scripture as Jesus did…so that God can use our moments of temptation to confirm our task on earth when he allows satan to tempt us.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that you gave me the same dose of Holy Spirit when I became your child as you did Jesus. Forgive me for all the times that I forget that the Holy Spirit can give me power and strength and comfort when I need it most.  Help me to study even more…so that when I am tempted… the exact scripture I need to denounce satan’s tricks come to my heart and mind. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment