Tuesday, May 14, 2013

David's Song Of Praise


2 Samuel 22:1-4 -  David sang this song to the LORD after the LORD had rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul.  These are the words he sang: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;  my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold, my high tower, my savior, the one who saves me from violence.  I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies.

 

David wrote a song of praise to the God who had stayed with him through the worst and the best of his life. He called God his rock…his fortress…his savior…his shield….his strength…his stronghold…his high tower. He said that God was worthy of praise for all he had done for this shepherd boy …giant killer…anointed king…sinner….redeemed man…who was close to the end of his purpose for life.

 

I can’t help but wonder what the original version of his song sounded like.  Perhaps he went to his room and simply sang out these beautiful words in a moment of prayer.  Maybe one day as he took a quiet walk …his praise just burst out of his heart….with loud shouts that scared the birds right out of the bushes.  Possibly… he was deep in prayer…. at the tent he so wanted to be a more ornate place for God to live…and his praise for God just couldn’t be kept silent. Or maybe he just picked up the harp he used so much as a child one afternoon and the tune he strummed inspired these great words of praise.

 

The words are almost verbatim the same as Psalm 18….perhaps a revised version of this original writing.  David must have felt the strength in its words…and wanted to make sure that others were able to use it later…so he wrote it down and gave it to the music director….so others could magnify and praise the Lord with its powerful words. Some of us will use these words to praise him quietly as we walk down the street. Some of us will praise him with loud shouts that come from the depths of our very soul.   Some of us will retreat to a quiet room…and speak in the softest...most reverent voice we can find at the moment.  Still more of us will kneel in moments of prayer…and cry out tears of praise…that seem so lacking for all that God has brought us through.

 

Father…I thank you for being my rock…my shield…my high tower.  I could never find the words to adequately thank you for all you have brought me through. When I am down… your love lifts me up just high enough that I don’t sink beneath the weight of life.  When I start to feel sorry for myself…you humble me with the sacrifice of your son on that cross. When I am overwhelmed with joy…you provide an avenue for me to sing your praise.  You are my strength when I am weak…and catch my tears when I am broken…then you build me back with your amazing love… to be something you can use.  Thank you for never leaving me…for always holding my hand…for chasing me when I ran away.  Draw me closer to you each day you allow me life…so I can share even more of the praise David felt in the moment that he wrote this song of love to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment