Monday, May 27, 2013

What Is Your Stumbling Block?


1Kings 11:1-4 -  Now King Solomon loved many foreign women: the daughter of Pharaoh, and Moabite, Ammonite, E'domite, Sido'nian, and Hittite women,  from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods"; Solomon clung to these in love.  He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart.  For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

 

As Solomon aged…he added many women to his haram….one thousand in all. Seven hundred of those were wives….the others concubines.  He let their influence change his heart…and turned from worshiping the God who had given him his wisdom and wealth…to worship the gods of his wives and concubines.  He broke his side of the agreement with God…to always walk in his ways...and worship him alone.

 

Oh how it must have broken God’s heart when he came to Solomon to tell him he could no longer keep the agreement he had made with his father David. He was very angry with Solomon…but remained merciful and kind…out of respect for his father David.  He told Solomon that he would remain king till he died…but that he would raise up an enemy to strip all but one tribe’s leadership from his son.

 

Solomon’s heart had changed so much that he did not even show any remorse.  Somewhere along the road to his older years…he left his spiritual being far behind…and allowed satan in his house.  His wisdom was limited to his political affairs….as he allowed the women of his life to overcome his need for God.

 

If the wisest man on Earth had a weakness that satan could capitalize on…then so do all of us. I know for a fact this is true….because I could tell you a story about a girl who swore on her Bible that she would never drink.  But satan found her weakness….and while she worked weekends at a restaurant that served alcohol …and since her own marriage was very weak….she allowed the fellowship and kindness of the ‘party crowd’ she worked with…to weaken her faith…and turn her heart just enough to have that first drink.

 

It would be two long years…and a few other side trips of more mature drinking in the privacy of my new home after a divorce …before I realized that satan had pulled me completely from God’s ways…helping me justify what I wanted to do.  Thank God he came to me in the form of a wonderful church…and showed me how that drinking was not helping me grow in him….and I have been a non-drinker ever since.

 

I could probably tell you other stories from my own life that prove my theory….that none of us are strong enough to fight off the devil’s sneaky tricks on our own.  And Solomon’s wisdom…separated from God’s love… void of any  relationship with God…stopped him from recognizing satan in his many wives other gods.  If I examine my heart...right now …today…am I letting down my defenses any….allowing satan to see any weaknesses...that he might be able to attack…and eventually use to turn me away from God?  Or…even worse….is there something else in my life that I consider so important…that satan has already twisted my thinking….and I have justified it…even though I know the Bible clearly says it is wrong?

 

Father…I ask you to search my heart and reveal to me any small thing …stumbling blocks….that satan might be able to use to turn me away from your love.  Help me to recognize it as a stumbling block to building a closer relationship with you…and give me the strength to remove it from my life.  Thank you for allowing this story of Solomon’s great sin to be recorded in your word for me to read….to remind me to examine my own life and habits…so that I might be stronger against satan’s tricks and schemes.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment