Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Trust Brings Peace


2 Samuel 15:23-26 -  There was deep sadness throughout the land as the king and his followers passed by. They crossed the Kidron Valley and then went out toward the wilderness.  Abiathar and Zadok and the Levites took the Ark of the Covenant of God and set it down beside the road. Then they offered sacrifices there until everyone had passed by.  David instructed Zadok to take the Ark of God back into the city. "If the LORD sees fit," David said, "he will bring me back to see the Ark and the Tabernacle again.  But if he is through with me, then let him do what seems best to him."

 

Absalom had built himself quite the army of followers.  His handsome appearance…his beautiful chariot and horses…and his well-chosen words… had helped him develop enough followers to try and overthrow his father. David….full of sorrow …wept as he fled from the city…unwilling to stay and fight his own son...unwilling to watch his friends and family die… unwilling to see his beloved city destroyed in the fight.

 

David had matured enough in his faith that he was able to see God from the depths of his pain … and he spoke ….“if the Lord sees fit”…. and “let him do what seems best.” He took a breather from his sorrow ….and latched on to God’s peace for just a moment…as he uttered those words.  He showed the crowd that followed him…..family …friends… and leaders…that he trusted God…whatever the future brought to his life.

 

David trusted God.   He trusted him to provide in his great sorrow…just like Jesus told us in Matthew 6: 25…Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? David understood it so well that it became a theme for many of his Psalms…for the word trust appears over 71 times in those books.

 

I admit that my level of trust is still lacking.  I am working on it daily…but I still have miles to go before I get to David’s level. I know in my heart that the daily Bible study and prayer has helped… but even as I write this morning….I know that the small time I spend in study and prayer is not enough. For me to hide his word in my heart I need to really spend time in it.

 

 Somehow I have to find that trusting spirit I had as a child…that just knew that mom and dad would take care of me…no matter what was wrong.  Satan wants me to think that I could never be that trusting again…for he calls up the pain in my life and the times that God allowed me to feel the pain full.  Satan wants me to interpret that as God abandoning me...but I know that he did it now to help me grow….just as David realized in the moment that he spoke those great words of trust to his friends and family.

 

Father…I come to you this morning with a heart of thanks for all you have done in my life. I thank you for each lesson of life that brought me pain…and ask you to help me remember that you allowed them in order to train me to trust you. Help me to use David’s wise words of trust daily ...and believe with all my heart that you always know what is best. Give me the courage to trust you…no matter what situation you allow me to be in. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment