Sunday, May 12, 2013

I'll Bet She Was Somone's Mother


2 Samuel 20:16-19 - But a wise woman in the city called out to Joab, "Listen to me, Joab. Come over here so I can talk to you."  As he approached, the woman asked, "Are you Joab?""I am," he replied.So she said, "Listen carefully to your servant.""I'm listening," he said.  Then she continued, "There used to be a saying, 'If you want to settle an argument, ask advice at the city of Abel.'  I am one who is peace loving and faithful in Israel. But you are destroying a loyal city. Why do you want to destroy what belongs to the LORD?"

 

Sheba had convinced the tribe of Israel to abandon David…so he sent Abishai to stop him from causing any further trouble.  Joab had joined him…and killed Amasa on the way…and commanded the troops to follow them to the town of Abel…where Sheba was hiding.  It was a wise woman….courageous and strong…who leaned out of her window to inquire of Joab why they were attacking the city.  It was an even wiser woman that convinced the townspeople to cut off Sheba’s head and throw it down to Joab…so he would leave their city unharmed.

 

From time to time the Bible is careful to include the story of a brave and wise woman. This one saved her whole town with the courage she had to even speak to Joab from her window. With well chosen words she found the source of the trouble and fixed it just as fast. Her courage and wisdom stopped the attack of her town…so that all were safe once again.

 

It really isn’t a typical mother’s day story…but it does remind me of all the great women of the Bible that Jesus felt needed to be mentioned.  Each one of these great women he chose to include in the Bible have at least one of the qualities we should appreciate in our own mothers.  Mine is very wise…like this lady.  My mother’s wisdom taught me to go to church and she raised me to believe in God.  She taught me to eat my peas…not hide them in the plants.  She taught me to work…and do my best. She taught me that love was the most important quality that anyone could show to others.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me of my own wise mother.  I thank you that she is still a part of my life and I can still learn from her great life lessons.  Bless her this day along with every other mother …present with us here on Earth….and give a double blessings to those I know miss their moms very much on this day…and let them feel your comfort and peace throughout this special day. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment