Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Peace...A Time To Seek Guidance And Direction From God


1 Kings 5:3-5 -  "You know that because of the constant wars my father David had to fight against the enemy countries all around him, he could not build a temple for the worship of the Lord his God until the Lord had given him victory over all his enemies.  But now the Lord my God has given me peace on all my borders. I have no enemies, and there is no danger of attack.  The Lord promised my father David, "Your son, whom I will make king after you, will build a temple for me.' And I have now decided to build that temple for the worship of the Lord my God.

 

The king of Tyre was a good man.  He loved David and respected the choice he made in making Solomon king.  He honored his friendship with David by sending congratulations to his son. The great pact of peace that followed joined the two countries together in a simple arrangement….food in exchange for labor and wood from the high mountains of Lebanon.  Solomon wanted the temple built out of the finest wood ….cedar and cypress trees….wood that would last an eternity….and retain its beauty and purpose for generations to come.

 

It only cost Solomon 125 bushels of wheat…and 95 gallons of pure olive oil…a bargain by today’s standards. The two nations worked together to fell the trees…tie them into rafts…and float them down the seacoast to a spot where they could be brought the rest of the way by land. No Israelite was away from their families for more than a month at a time….because Solomon rotated the workers in an organized way.

 

Solomon was proud of the peace he had helped to bring about in Israel…and the teamwork that he was able to encourage between his country and Tyre was crucial to Solomon’s ability to complete the promise God made to his father.  Peace brings about quiet…tranquility…freedom…and those who enjoy it are able to release the energies they would have to use to fight their enemies …to doing more constructive things…like gathering the wood to build a temple.

 

Solomon could have sat on his laurels in the palace and done nothing…just enjoyed the peace and rest God had given him from all his father’s hard work.  But Solomon had been given wisdom…and wisdom tells us that peace should be used to do good things…that we should search out partnerships to try and fulfill the promises we have been given from God’s word. That must be my lesson today…to not sit around and rest all summer…for my summer break began today.  God knew that teachers need a long break to replenish the great amount of energy it takes to teach children all day long for 200 days of the year.  

 

I am not saying that you should never rest… I plan on enjoying the rocking chair on my porch and traveling to see family I don’t live near…and possibly make a trip to the beach and dig my toes in the sand in one of those huge lounge chairs…covered with a big umbrella.  But I know in my heart…from reading this story in 1 kings 5…that part of my summer needs to be spent seeking out the partnerships that will help me to do the work God has sent me here to do….reading and studying a little more than a working school day provides….maybe finishing that book I started writing 3 years ago….maybe even taking a leap of faith to search out a way to get the devotional book I have written published somehow.  The times of peace that God has blessed me with should be spent seeking out ways to build my relationship with him stronger…so that others can learn of the power of his great love.

 

Father…I thank you for the simple revelation this story brings to my heart.  Help me to embrace the thought of resting in your love…and using the time of peace…taking the resources you have blessed me with to search out your will in this time of peace. Take those quiet minutes I spend in my rocking chair on the porch… to bring to my mind the tidbits of wisdom I need to use my days this summer to your glory.  Show me the pathways to share what you have given me in writing with the ones who you want it shared with.  Strengthen the relationships I have with my family … children… and friends.  Show me how to use my time to help you spread the good news of your love and salvation with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment