Wednesday, May 22, 2013

His House Is Now Our Heart


1 kings 6: 11-14 -  Now the word of the LORD came to Solomon,  "Concerning this house which you are building, if you will walk in my statutes and obey my ordinances and keep all my commandments and walk in them, then I will establish my word with you, which I spoke to David your father.  And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel."  So Solomon built the house, and finished it.

 

Solomon was passionate about the job God gave him to do. He built a home for God that was so grand it took seven years. Each stone predesigned at a nearby quarry…so that quiet reverence could be maintained in the temple itself. God spoke to Solomon somewhere in the middle of the construction…his words a reminder that the key to following him was not in the structure itself…but in the word he would establish with him…as he had his father David…and their ancestors before that.

 

God’s only request had nothing to do with the materials…size…or rooms needed within the walls of his house.  Instead they focused on what we should do when we are outside the walls where we worship.  They were a reminder that we are to follow the ordinances and statues that God gave Moses…and allow God to establish his word with us….just as he did with them. God knew that having the word within us…was key to throwing off the temptations of satan… that would definitely try to separate us from his presence inside that house.

 

A friend reminded me just yesterday…that we are very lucky indeed to have the completed word.  Solomon …Moses….and the great apostles like Peter and John only had a small portion of it. God even gave the people before me the great wisdom to bind it together in a book that I can carry around…and study each night….so he can establish that word within my heart…so that I will remember its words when I am tempted not to keep one of those rules and commands he asked us to live by.  God knew that when his son came to die for our sins...his house would not be a building anymore.  His house would become the inside of every heart that accepts him and loves him…and begins to read and study his word…so that it becomes a part of who they are…and what they do each day.

 

Father…I thank you for the word you gave to Solomon.  I appreciate the beauty of the house you allowed him to build for you to live in….so you could establish your word with all who believe in you…and have accepted the priceless gift your son gave us when he died on that cross.  Help me father to establish your words in my heart…and make it an acceptable place for you to live in.  Let the words of your completed book give me power and strength and courage…and mercy for the days ahead. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment