Saturday, May 18, 2013

Is God The center Of Your Life?


1 Kings 2:1-4 -  As the time of King David's death approached, he gave this charge to his son Solomon:  "I am going where everyone on earth must someday go. Take courage and be a man.  Observe the requirements of the LORD your God and follow all his ways. Keep each of the laws, commands, regulations, and stipulations written in the law of Moses so that you will be successful in all you do and wherever you go.  If you do this, then the LORD will keep the promise he made to me: 'If your descendants live as they should and follow me faithfully with all their heart and soul, one of them will always sit on the throne of Israel.

 

David’s was given enough of a warning of his death…to know that it was time to call his son to his side and charge him with the most important part of his job as king. He told him to be courageous…and observe all the commands of Yahweh the Lord…so the promise God made to David could be carried out in the sons to be born into David’s great family. 

 

It must have given David great hope to share these words with his son Solomon.  It is significant that David chose to emphasize the positive relationship he should have with his maker….for David knew that a strong relationship with the Lord would give Solomon the strength and power to be a great king. He wanted his son to remember that God should always be at the center of his life….and should always be involved in every decision he made. 

 

If you read the rest of the chapter…you will note that David’s advice to his son included his personal…. work…. and church life.  After David made sure Solomon knew that God must be first in his life…he mentioned some relationships that would need to be dealt with.  There was much house cleaning to do in the Palace….some that needed purging…and some that just needed to be treated kindly as long as God granted them life.

 

Solomon wasted no time using the wisdom of his father to make decisions.  He had the ones who might threaten the throne dealt with as his father had told him…and even recognized the ploy of his brother Adonijah….when he asked to take Abishag as a wife. He knew if he allowed his brother to take the last mistress David had as a wife…the nation would see it as a claim to the throne.

 

My lesson in all this is simple… I need to work on keeping God the center of my life…just as David told his son. I admit that most days the Ferris Wheel of life gets a little off center from God.  I let the friends that give me the most attention get my attention…and that does not always glorify God.  If I expect God to keep that wonderful promise he made to me in Jeremiah 29:11…I must constantly evaluate my interactions with others and concentrate on the ones that help me build my relationship with God stronger….deeper…..and more meaningful….so I can keep that wheel moving in a perfectly balanced way…and be in the center of God’s will for me. That might even mean that I need to quit riding in the cars on the edge with my friends…  sometimes...and move to the center of the wheel…and learn to trust God for all I need.

 

Father…I am amazed at how every story I read in your word...chapter by chapter…. seems to teach me something new about how to live a life that honors and praises who you are.  Thank you for David…and letting the great words he shared with Solomon at his death…be recorded so I could benefit from them too. Help me to surrender more to your purpose in my life…and not be distracted so much by the fun satan tricks me with along the way. Show me how to keep you the center of my life…so I can be strong and courageous like Solomon.  Help me to keep all your commandments…so you can fulfill the promise you made to me in Jeremiah 29:11…and reveal the plans you have for me…to bring about good in my life…and give me a future that allows me hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment