Sunday, May 19, 2013

What Do You Need From God?


1 Kings 3:7-12 -  O LORD my God, now you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn't know his way around.  And here I am among your own chosen people, a nation so great they are too numerous to count!  Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great nation of yours?"  The Lord was pleased with Solomon's reply and was glad that he had asked for wisdom.  So God replied, "Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people and have not asked for a long life or riches for yourself or the death of your enemies --  I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding mind such as no one else has ever had or ever will have!

 

Solomon had used his power to make an alliance with Egypt...gaining his first wife out of the deal.  He loved God and was following the Lord’s commands…except for the place he offered his sacrifices.  But God must not have been too upset with the one thousand sacrifices he offered in the hills of Gibeon…because he appeared to him in a dream that changed his life forever the next night. God asked Solomon what he wanted….so he could give it to him.

 

Solomon asked for an understanding mind….wisdom to lead the people….discernment to know how to settle the many problems he had no experience with…for he was just a child in his own eyes. And so God took what Solomon saw as his weakness…and made it into the strength of his reign.  He gave Solomon the wisdom he asked for….times infinity….so that he could rule the people with fairness and mercy…and justice.   I love how he used his gift immediately in settling the dispute of the two women who argued over a child. It was the wisdom and discernment of God that told him the real mother would be the one that granted the baby life with a stranger…over death.

 

I have never had the great pleasure of God coming to me in a straightforward dream and flat out telling me I could have anything I wanted.  That would be way cool…and I hope my flesh would stay out of the way long enough for my heart to tell God what I really need in this season of life.  I know I have asked God many times for discernment and wisdom enough to be a better friend and teacher…but I must have lacked the faith I needed to let it embody me the way Solomon did. At fifty-four….I still feel as inexperienced as a child sometimes…and I know I act like one more that I do the years my life represents.

 

Maybe my gifting is not supposed to be wisdom….so I just need to ask God to give me what he thinks I need. Then I need to ask him to help me recognize what he gave me to help him do his work here on Earth. And maybe if I search the deepest part of my heart…where satan hasn’t managed to infiltrate my deepest desires….I might already know what God wants me to have…just like Solomon seemed to know what he needed in that wonderful moment he was given to speak face to face to God.

 

Lord…I must be on to something here this morning …for the tears are starting to come and cleanse my heart from the tricks satan has placed there to keep me from recognizing your will for my life.  Oh how I need a breakthrough of your plan for my life…in order to concentrate on what will give me the greatest pleasure while I still have time on the Earth to do your will.  Father…I will close my eyes and pretend that you are in this room…and I will ask you to give me what I need in this moment to be what you need me to be.  I won’t second guess what it is this time…I will ask that you reveal it to me…and give me the eyes and ears to recognize what it is. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment