Friday, May 17, 2013

Forgive...Just Forgive


1 kings 1:49-53 - Then all of Adonijah's guests jumped up in panic from the banquet table and quickly went their separate ways.  Adonijah himself was afraid of Solomon, so he rushed to the sacred tent and caught hold of the horns of the altar.  Word soon reached Solomon that Adonijah had seized the horns of the altar and that he was pleading, "Let Solomon swear today that he will not kill me!"  Solomon replied, "If he proves himself to be loyal, he will not be harmed. But if he does not, he will die."  So King Solomon summoned Adonijah, and they brought him down from the altar. He came and bowed low before the king, and Solomon dismissed him, saying, "Go on home."

 

King David had gotten so old he was limited to his bed…so his son Adonijah took it upon himself to have himself anointed king.  He rallied around him the people he knew would like the idea…and went to the springs of Enrogel…and sacrificed the animals he knew he needed to present to the lord.  It wasn’t a crazy idea for him…he was the fourth oldest…the ‘heir apparent.’ And he would have gotten away with the ploy…except the prophet Nathan was quick to tell Bathsheba to let the king know she and Solomon were in danger now….and cry to him how disappointed she was that he had not kept his promise to her that Solomon would be the next king.

 

David wasted no time putting together a team to anoint Solomon as the true king…which sent Adonijah running to hide from his brother in the temple.  He ran to the altar…the sacred place where he knew God’s mercy and forgiveness might just spare his life for trying to take the role of king…without asking his father…or God. Solomon just called for him…and when he saw his brother’s repentant attitude…he told him to go home.

 

Solomon’s first act as king was to proclaim forgiveness and mercy to his brother for trying to take the throne.  Maybe he learned how from his father …for just as David forgave Saul…Solomon forgave his brother….just as God forgives each of us. The lesson here ... we all need to develop a heart that follows this example.  I sure need to pray that God help me think about forgiving someone before I think about getting them back.

 

Father… thank you for reminding me this morning that forgiveness is an important part of my life with you. When I signed up for you to live in my heart…I signed on to have you make me into a creature more like you.  I thank you for the forgiveness and mercy you gave to me…and ask you to help me develop my heart into one that will forgive as you forgave my many sins. Show me who I need to forgive…and give me the words that will express just your love and mercy to everyone I still harbor any feelings of transgression.  Wash any hate and bitterness that satan has planted in my soul completely away with that cleansing blood of yours…so I can be more like Solomon…and forgive them without a second thought. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment