Sunday, May 26, 2013

We Could All Use A Portion Of Solomon's Wisdom


1 Kings 10:1-3 - Now when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to test him with hard questions.  She came to Jerusalem with a very great retinue, with camels bearing spices, and very much gold, and precious stones; and when she came to Solomon, she told him all that was on her mind.  And Solomon answered all her questions; there was nothing hidden from the king which he could not explain to her.

 

Solomon’s wisdom was world renown…he drew to his kingdom many like the Queen of Sheba.  She had heard of this king…richer than any other…wiser than any man known to the earth. She just could not believe that it was true….so she packed gifts…and traveled by camel to meet with him and test his knowledge.  God granted Solomon the answer to any question she asked….every detail he needed to explain her hard questions… was carefully placed in his mind.

 

God allowed much of Solomon’s wisdom to be shared with us today….for many of Solomon’s wise sayings are recorded in the Bible.  Most Jewish scholars agree that he wrote the book of Proverbs and Song of Solomon.  He may have written Ecclesiastes as well…..but that is not supported by all Bible scholars. The depth of his wisdom contained in these pages encompasses everything we need to know to live a full...meaningful life with God at our side.

 

I struggled last night in reading this chapter….not really feeling any understanding or application for my life.  I do not feel wise by any standard.  Some friends call me sensible…while others describe me as  radical...and still others just call me crazy. I have asked God for wisdom many times in my prayers …and  thought I had claimed James 1:5….which says….. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  But perhaps my doubts….and  feelings of inadequacy overrode the promise that these words contain.  Maybe God hasn’t granted my request because I have a Sheba attitude….not believing…having to test Solomon with questions.

 

There was a point in this story where Sheba’s heart changed…and she accepted that Solomon was as wise as others claimed.  Maybe that is what I should pray for…a change of heart….to begin to believe that I can have the promise…and am in no way limited by the human abilities I was born with…so I can accept the great gifts God gives….that turn our weaknesses into wonders of his glory and power.

 

Father…you know my doubting heart…that has trouble believing that I can even memorize a simple set of words to a song.  Help me Lord to throw off the unbelief and doubt that satan uses to trap me in a limited world….and accept as Sheba did…the reality of your great power.  I ask you for wisdom once again God…but this time I also ask that you give me the change of heart I need to believe that you have given me this great gift of knowledge. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment