Monday, May 20, 2013

Wisdom + Organization + A Searching Heart = World Peace


1 Kings 4:20-21 -  The people of Judah and Israel were as numerous as the sand on the seashore. They were very contented, with plenty to eat and drink.  King Solomon ruled all the kingdoms from the Euphrates River to the land of the Philistines, as far south as the border of Egypt. The conquered peoples of those lands sent tribute money to Solomon and continued to serve him throughout his lifetime.


 


 


Perhaps one of the fruits of Solomon’s great wisdom was his ability to organize the kingdom.   He had at least 19 officials appointed to various duties within the kingdom….and a palace staff that required over 500 bushels of flour and meal to keep them fed…and that doesn’t include the meat and veggies they probably consumed.  The 12 tribes occupied an area of land that was huge…and kings from all around his kingdom paid him taxes…..and helped supplement the food each tribe of Israel sent to feed his palace staff each month…once a month. The vast expanse of his kingdom enjoyed peace… prosperity… exploding in numbers so numerous they matched the sand on the sea.


 


 


I’m just thinking on paper…not that any world leader would ever have the opportunity to read my post…but it seems to me that we have the formula for world peace…right here in the pages of the Bible. Take the wisdom you ask God for….organize your country with just 19 Godly cabinet members…..appoint only one person per territory or state to organize the food the ruler needs to run his household…take turns providing for the king and his staff….and use the taxes from the trade of the surrounding countries to support the military….and there you have it….world peace….content country men….and prosperity for all. 


 


 


Okay…maybe it isn’t that simple…but Solomon sure made it look that way…..but again…he is the one who had a searching heart…one that asked God for wisdom instead of riches and glory.  And God granted it…and had the results written down for us to see that a little wisdom goes a long way to fight the pride…. selfishness… greediness… and pompous attitudes of most of the leaders I see these days.   I include myself in the critique….for I am no better than they most days…looking out for myself before I consider the needs of others. I am always checking the balance in my savings before I decide to give to any cause. I should have written a ten dollar check and given it to a friend last night…but that is a story for another day.


 


 


Thank you Lord….for once again you have reminded me that I can start over this morning to correct my attitude.  Once again I am thankful that you give me a new chance to get it right today.  Help me to think of Solomon and the wisdom you gave him to rule a nation with you by his side…so you could bless the whole nation of people under his rule with peace and prosperity.  Help me do my part to bring about this peace here in America….and ask you daily to provide a way for the world to once again work together in peace as they did when Solomon ruled Israel. Amen.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment