Thursday, May 16, 2013

Giving Should Cost us....Something.


2 Samuel 24: 23-25 - I will give it all to you, and may the LORD your God accept your sacrifice."  But the king replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on buying it, for I cannot present burnt offerings to the LORD my God that have cost me nothing." So David paid him fifty pieces of silver for the threshing floor and the oxen.  David built an altar there to the LORD and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. And the LORD answered his prayer, and the plague was stopped.

 

This last chapter of 2 Samuel tells all about a census David took of the people....that took over 9 months.  He counted the people….but then felt guilty for doing it.  1,300,000 men of conscription age were logged into the census books….and that does not include children and women. A terrible 3 day plague …that killed over 70,000 of the Israelites were killed by the death angel before god’s mercy stopped him at the threshing floor of a man named Araunah …and David was sent to build an altar of thanks to God at the very spot.  

 

The humble words of David recorded in verse 24 are words that sure stabbed my proud heart last night… for they show me the Lord’s true definition of sacrifice. Sacrifice must cost us something. David simply did not feel he was giving anything to the Lord…..if he did not have to pay a price for it. It wasn’t a huge sacrifice t David….considering his great wealth…but 50 pieces of silver was quite a bit of money in those days…more than the fair market price.

 

I can’t rightfully say that I have truly sacrificed much …in comparison to what God has blessed me with. I debate with myself about whether to tithe my gross or net income.  I give to others…but it seems that it is always the extra I seem to have left …after I take care of my own needs.  Then of course…my mind thinks of the ultimate sacrifice that God gave to us in his son….and it makes me look at the ground in embarrassment at the weak attempts I have made in my life to make sacrifices for him.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me that I need to give more…sacrifice more to show how much I love you.  Open my heart to be more generous…to give more to my church...to give more to others.  Open my eyes to the needs around me so I can use the great resources you blessed me with to help you help others.  Thank you for your great sacrifice to me…in giving your son to die for my many sins….and forgive me for taking the high cost of my salvation so lightly. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment