Monday, May 6, 2013

God Can Only Clean Our Messes...If We Ask


2 Samuel 14:1-3 - Joab realized how much the king longed to see Absalom.  So he sent for a woman from Tekoa who had a reputation for great wisdom. He said to her, "Pretend you are in mourning; wear mourning clothes and don't bathe or wear any perfume. Act like a woman who has been in deep sorrow for a long time.  Then go to the king and tell him the story I am about to tell you." Then Joab told her what to say.

 

Joab had watched David hurting for as long as he could stand it…then he took matters into his own hands.  He found what he considered to be a wise woman to dress and act as a poor widow….and feed David a story of pity that mirrored his own situation with Absalom. …and her words of pity and bad luck struck a nerve in the king.  So he had Joab bring home his son….but refused to see him for two more years.

 

Maybe David felt he had no power over this wayward child….he remembered the words of God that Nathan had delivered…that predicted the rebellion of his children.  Maybe he just couldn’t bear to lose another son to the death required by law for murder…so he gave in to the reasoning of the this woman and eventually agreed to see his son.  He melted in mercy and forgiveness as soon as he saw him…and kissed him.

 

One thing for sure that is missing from this story is David or Joab asking God what to do.  Perhaps in David’s tormented silence he was composing some of the psalms commentaries said were probably written in this period of frustration over his child.  Psalm 39, 41, 55, 61-63…are full of his frustration and cries to God to relieve his pain…but not one of them asks God what to do about his son. And perhaps Joab had good intentions when he plotted to help his friend get past his sorrows…and even though it seemed to work on the surface…it only escalated the bitterness that Absalom felt for his father.

 

It reminds me of many of the messes I have made when I stepped ahead of God’s plan myself…not asking or waiting on his clear directions for my next steps. This story reminds me to work on my patience….and pray even stronger prayers of guidance and discernment for his will in my life.  God has forgiven me for my inability to wait on him….but he is still cleaning up some of the messes I made when I stepped out of his plan. 

 

Father…I thank you for the great forgiveness and mercy you show to me in spite of the many mistakes I made in the 54 years you have granted me life. Grant to me this morning the discernment I need to wait as long as it takes to hear your answers to my many prayers.  Give me wisdom to use the resources you place in front of me to help me work through the messes I created when I tried to do things myself.  Help me hear your clear directions as I ask you this morning to show me what to do.  Hold my hand and keep me from bitterness and hate…..fill me instead with your unfailing love…that I should show to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment