Monday, October 28, 2013

Arrogance Blocks God's Peace In Your Life


Job 18:1-4 -  Then Bildad the Shuhite replied:  "When will you end these speeches? Be sensible, and then we can talk.  Why are we regarded as cattle and considered stupid in your sight?  You who tear yourself to pieces in your anger, is the earth to be abandoned for your sake? Or must the rocks be moved from their place?

 

Bildad speaks for the second time.  His harsh words mimic those of his friend. He doesn’t understand why Job will not listen to their wisdom and repent of the sin that he thinks is causing the problem. He shouts a long list of harsh punishments that God reserves for the most wicked of people…insinuating that Job is on his way to being that wicked.

 

It reminds me of one of those arguments that one wins. Both sides are so locked in their way that no real compromise is made by either party.  A mediator has to be called in to even suggest what options might be available to settle the dispute. The problem with Job and Bildad is that the ultimate mediator…God…has not decided to intervene yet.

 

Bildad spoke from his arrogance and pride. He used his It was more important for him to prove he was right…than to truly look into the heart of his hurting friend…and help him search for answers that might solve his problem. He knew the penalty for sin…and was right in saying the wages of sin was death…but he forgot to ask God about Job’s case.  He became defensive…and let the anger he felt at Job control the words that came from his mouth.

 

I understand all too well Bildad’s problem…I used to be just like him.  I always insisted that I was right…and never even considered letting God help me decide a decision. My defensive arrogance played a huge part in the divorce from my first husband.  We used to fight so hard to prove we were right…and never once stopped to pray together…and ask God to settle the arguments we invented to help justify our lack of love we gave each other.

 

How amazing is God’s love…that is can replace that horrible arrogance and defensive anger…with his perfect love and peace and understanding.  It gives me such hope to know that even when I did not ask for help…God was working a big plan to save me from myself…and the decision we both made to give upon 30 years of love. We chose to stop trying…instead of work through the storm.  But even in that…God forgave…and is working in our lives to change us into creatures that love him more than we do ourselves. He is helping us to repair the damage it did to our children…one day at a time.

 

Oh how I plead with those of you that love God to work through your storms….to invite God into the boat with you so he can tell the storm to quiet down around you…and bring peace where there is hostility and hate…just like Jesus did in Mark 4. We have to ask him aboard you know…before he can do anything to help us. Only God can truly help you navigate safely through the mess you have created with your pride.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I need you more than I need to be right.  Help me to accept the complete control you need over my heart...so that I can release all the anger…and hate…and bitterness…I feel over the hurts in my life.  Help me to see that my need to be right is keeping me from experiencing the great calming peace that passes understanding…and growing closer to your perfect plan for my life. Give me this morning a new need to always look up and ask you what to do…to always call out to you for guidance in all that I do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment