Monday, October 7, 2013

The Bigger Picture


Esther 7:3-5 - Then Queen Esther answered, "If I have found favor with you, O king, and if it pleases your majesty, grant me my life--this is my petition. And spare my people--this is my request.  For I and my people have been sold for destruction and slaughter and annihilation. If we had merely been sold as male and female slaves, I would have kept quiet, because no such distress would justify disturbing the king. "  King Xerxes asked Queen Esther, "Who is he? Where is the man who has dared to do such a thing?"

 

Esther waited for just the right moment and gathered all her courage….to share with the king her serious plea for life.  She wasn’t just pleading for herself…but for her people…the Jews. She exposed the plot of Haman…and used the shock of the king to her favor. The king was so angry he left the room to go think in the garden…before he passed sentence on his high official and friend.

 

Haman was hanged on his own gallows and the people of Israel were saved through the brave request of Esther. God revealed his great plan to save his people …because a young girl did not give up when she became an orphan….or distress when her uncle became her foster parent….or worry when she was given to the king for his harem.

 

We could all look back at our lives this day…and see the many small things that have happened in our life as tragedies….they can be used to weld excuses and pity parties for doing nothing but complaining.  Or we can use the model Esther gave us to wait patiently through the storms God allows in our lives…and realize the purpose some years later.

 

God promised us strength for every situation in Philippians 4:13… “ For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.”  He pours out his loving grace to all…just like it says in Ephesians 1:6 …. So we praise God for the wonderful kindness He has poured out on us because we belong to His dearly loved Son.” He has a plan for our lives that we just don’t see sometimes….but if we pray for his strength and direction…the plan will come together in his time.

 

Father…thank you for the sweet young girl Esther…who found her calling in life and allowed you to use her to save her people.  Help me to be ready and willing to endure the smaller hardships of life…in order for you to weld together a bigger plan for all.  Give me wisdom…and courage…and patience…to wait on you….till you are  ready to reveal your bigger plan. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment