Monday, October 21, 2013

Escape From Temptations


Job 11:7-11 -  "Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?  They are higher than the heavens--what can you do? They are deeper than the depths of the grave--what can you know?  Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea.  "If he comes along and confines you in prison and convenes a court, who can oppose him?  Surely he recognizes deceitful men; and when he sees evil, does he not take note?

 

Job’s friend Zophar had no clue of Job’s innocence.  He sat in agreement with Job’s other friends that he must be hiding some sin for God to bring such harsh judgment against him. His words would have been true…if Job had been guilty of some sin. God does see all that we do…nothing can be hidden from him.

 

The reason Job was suffering was because God had seen all that he had done…and he was proud of Job. He knew just how strong his faith was…and just what he could handle from satan. Job just did not have a friend like Paul to explain it to him yet.  He wrote in 1 Corinthians 10:13… “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it.”

 

These friends of Job’s...they knew their Bible well…but they did not know the heart of the God who had it recorded.  And they did not know their friend Job as well as they thought they did.  They falsely interpreted Job’s suffering…because they assumed they knew the only reason for suffering. They never stopped to ask God what to do…just based their answers and advice on what they thought they already knew.

 

It is a reminder to me to never assume that I know all there is to know about God. I may be privy to the deepest secrets of God when I meet him face to face…but while he still allows me life and breath on the Earth…I must always assume there is something new to learn about his ways. I need to think about that the next time a friend asks me for advice….because they have suffering and pain to endure.

 

Father…thank you for the story of Job…and the reminder that I will never know all the mysteries of your love until I meet you face to face in Heaven.  Help me to keep an open mind…and heart…to pray for your spirit to guide me to the open doors you placed there to help me escape the temptations satan throws in front of me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment