Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Channel Your Love Into Courage To Change


Esther 9:12-13 - The king said to Queen Esther, "The Jews have killed and destroyed five hundred men and the ten sons of Haman in the citadel of Susa. What have they done in the rest of the king's provinces? Now what is your petition? It will be given you. What is your request? It will also be granted."  "If it pleases the king," Esther answered, "give the Jews in Susa permission to carry out this day's edict tomorrow also, and let Haman's ten sons be hanged on gallows."

 

The threat to the Jews was ended quickly.  For two days… in a mighty wave of confidence…because the courageous Esther asked for a second day to be added to the decree giving the Jews the right to defend themselves.  They gathered together in their towns to organize against the enemies who supported Haman’s decree…and were even joined by many of the high officials that were now supporting Mordecai. Over 75,000 of Israel’s enemies died….including the 10 sons Haman left as heirs when he was hanged.

 

Esther’s model of courage helped to show the world that women were an important element in God’s plan for the world. She broke through the harsh barriers set for women in those days…to prove that women could have an important voice in carrying out God’s plan. Esther channeled the love she had for God into a passion to help her people ….even at the risk of her own life.

 

Perhaps Esther found some of her courage because she had heard the story of how Rahab saved the spies in Joshua 2.  Rahab’s strength to overcome even a prior life of prostitution...gave her a second opportunity at life…and a new strength in God.  She saved her whole family…and joined the ranks of the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11.

 

Perhaps it was a bedtime story of Esther that gave Mary the courage to accept the honored position as Jesus’ mother. When the angel visited her in Luke 1…she announced quickly that she was ready to be God’s willing vessel…despite the problems she would face in carrying the angels orders out.  She bore the sweet child of God that gave his entire life to die for my many sins.

 

It is a reminder to me that I need to be willing to step out of my comfort zone…and be ready to do ANYTHING God asks of me.  There may come a time when God might just ask me to do something out of the norm…because he planted in me the courage and faith to speak out for what is right. I need to be ready to call on his great power…to carry out whatever it is that he asks me to do.

 

Father…I thank you for the story of Esther.  Help me find just a portion of her courage…and her passion to follow you.  Help me to use her model to help me remember to always consider you before I consider myself. Remove the barriers in my mind that make me think I have no power…and help me to become a better model to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment