Sunday, October 27, 2013

God's Way Out


Job 17:1-3 and 9 - My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me.  Surely mockers surround me; my eyes must dwell on their hostility.  "Give me, O God, the pledge you demand. Who else will put up security for me?

Nevertheless, the righteous will hold to their ways, and those with clean hands will grow stronger.

 

Job knew deep in his heart that he was righteous…but he could not explain what was happening to him.  He was the first righteous man to experience satan’s temptation. He knew his friends were wrong in their assessment of his pain…but he had no way of explaining his deep confusion. He was broken…waiting for death…but was ready…somehow sensing that God would somehow bring strength in that moment…not more pain.

 

In his greatest moments of pain and grief...he continued to cling to God. He must have remembered God’s promise to care for him written in Deuteronomy 31:8 … “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Or maybe it was Joshua’s reminder in Joshua 1:9  “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Or perhaps he had been reading Psalm 27 and could hear David’s sweet verse 1 “The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?”

 

When Jesus was tempted …he used the scriptures to rebuke and send away satan.  God placed exactly the right scripture in his mouth that told satan with confidence that he was not falling for his lies and deceitful ways. Job was experiencing the strength Paul wrote about I Corinthians 10:13 which says…  “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

 

God is always watching and providing for us ways out of our struggles.  It’s like yesterday…when I was driving to see my baby boy play football.  An RV…huge….way bigger than my Rav4 I drive…wasn’t paying attention….and swerved over in my lane. I could have stayed right there…and let it hit me…but there was this convenient shoulder to my right….and God gave me the presence of mind to drive right into it…and no one was hurt. No scratches on either vehicle…I may have a complex about passing something that big ever again...but God was right there….helping me to think my way right out of a disaster satan probably planned to keep me from seeing my boy….or worse.

 

Job’s faith was strengthened by his brokenness…just like Paul says in 2 Corinthians 12:9… “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,” God doesn’t call the qualified…he qualifies the called.  Just like Job... David… Moses… Saul… Miriam… Sarah….Zaccheus…and Peter…God exposes our weakness to force us to let him work his supernatural power in our lives…and change us into what he needs us to be.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am weak without your great love…packed so tight in my heart that it bursts out into the space around me…and affects everyone you bring into my life.  Help me to be weak like Job…and let you break me from my desires and selfish worldly needs…so you can fill me up with your strength and power to do the work you called me to do. Give me more of your great spirit in my heart…so that it’s wisdom spills into my simple mind…so that you can show me how to avert all the temptations satan throws in my path to keep me from doing your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment