Friday, October 25, 2013

Seek God's Wisdom When Storms Are Blowing


Job 15:1-3 and 14 -   Then Eliphaz the Temanite replied:  "Would a wise man answer with empty notions or fill his belly with the hot east wind?  Would he argue with useless words, with speeches that have no value?

 "What is man, that he could be pure, or one born of woman, that he could be righteous?

 

Round two of the debate between Job and his friends begins with Eliphaz’s words of distaste for what he saw as Job’s arrogance. He is incredulous that Job cannot see his sin.  He sees Job’s cries of pain and questions to God as disrespectful and pious.  He compares Job’s insistence of innocence to the most wretched of wicked men…and said that God would judge him harshly for it.

 

How ironic that Eliphaz spoke so boldly to Job…but did not consider his own words for himself. It was his own arrogance …depending on the words of the older men in the area…that led him to consider himself more righteous than Job.  He had not been told to say any of these things to Job…he just assumed to have all the answers.

 

His words were true of man in general.  Man is lower than God. Man is corruptible. God will judge and punish the wicked.  But these words had no bearing on his friend Job. Not once did he just take Job’s hand and lift his face to the sky and ask God to help him and bless him with healing and comfort.  Not once did Eliphaz go to God in prayer and ask for his guidance in what to say to help ease Job’s frustrations with life.

 

I reminded of Paul…who found himself one time on a boat…in a very harsh wind. The harshest wind the people of the day called a ‘kadim’…had caused the crew taking him to Rome for trial to crash the boat and strand the whole crew on an island.  He spoke these words from Acts 27:25 to them after the crash…and what must have been a sleepless night for them all. … “So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.” I have no doubt in my mind that Paul spent his night praying…and God’s angel came to comfort him…and give him a message of hope.

 

I can’t remember when I first heard the question… “Do You know what happens when you assume?” The answer they gave … “You make a donkey’s behind out of yourself”….sure fits Eliphaz in this moment…and reminds me how important it is to seek God’s wisdom when friends need our help. None of us can preconceive the mind of God in our own lives…let alone our friends…especially if we don’t ask God what to do first.  When God blows harsh winds in our direction…that throw our normal routines for a loop….we must stop and look for his direction.  When friends ask us our opinion…we had better be sure that we have God’s permission to speak…the judgment for leading someone astray is heavy in Mark 9:42… “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.”

 

Father ….thank you for the reminder that I must never consider myself to know the answers to life. Help me to constantly check in with you…especially when life is hard…to see if you have some special words of advice or comfort for me. Let my attitude be one of seeking your direction in all that I do. Help me to remember that I must always seek your will when friends need my ear to vent.  Keep my mouth shut tightly …if I have not been told by you to give them advice. Seal any words up from being spoken that are not in keeping with your scriptures. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment