Saturday, October 26, 2013

Be A Comforter To Others


Job 16:2-5 -  "I have heard all this before. What miserable comforters you are!  Won't you ever stop your flow of foolish words? What have I said that makes you speak so endlessly?  I could say the same things if you were in my place. I could spout off my criticisms against you and shake my head at you.  But that's not what I would do. I would speak in a way that helps you. I would try to take away your grief.

 

Job had listened to the same advice twice now…their accusations and judgment brought him no comfort.  He just wanted them to be quiet…if they were not going to support him and try to make him feel better. Deep down he knew that he had done nothing to provoke such harshness form his friends or God. The words of his friends stirred a deep longing in his heart for God…but he was afraid that God hated him now.

 

Job’s advice to those of us that go to comfort others in loss and tragedy has two don’ts….and two do’s. Don’t talk for the sake of talking.  Sometimes words can be exchanged for a tender hug…a shared tear….or a smile of understanding.  Don’t sermonize.  God will do the judging later….they just need to know you love them…and will be there through the pain.  Do put yourself in their place.  Wear their shoes just long enough to empathize with what they are going through. Do offer help and encouragement.  And that does not always mean a tray of food or a cake the first few days.  That means calling and checking on them….weeks and months after the event has passed.

 

It is true that the best comforters are those that have been through the same pain.  God teaches us with our own pain how to best help others.  That is why Jesus is the best comforter we can find.  He suffered more agony and pain than anyone ever will…and triumphed over death.  He walked in our shoes…and even sent us the Holy Spirit to remind us of all the advice he gave us while he was here.  John 14:26 says…. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” What a great reminder to me that all the help I need is just a request away…one prayer to the holy father and all I need is there waiting.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are all that I need when I am hurting.  Thank you for the pain that has helped to teach me how to help others. Show me how to use Job’s advice …and be the kind of friend that supports and helps those that are going through pain and trials.  Help me remember to pray and invite the Holy Spirit to come with me…and show me what to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment