Sunday, October 13, 2013

Its Okay To Ask Why....But You Probably Won't Get An Answer


Job 3:20-24 -   "Why is light given to those in misery, and life to the bitter of soul,  to those who long for death that does not come, who search for it more than for hidden treasure,  who are filled with gladness and rejoice when they reach the grave?  Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in?  For sighing comes to me instead of food; my groans pour out like water.

 

Job had been sitting with three of his friends for 7 days. They exchanged no words…but sat in deep silence until Job began to cry out a long string of why questions.  He cursed the day he was born…and had no purpose to live.  His pain was so deep he felt God had forsaken him.  He felt his only way out of his deep anguish would be to never be born.

 

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who ever asked the same questions as Job. As I look back on my own pain…and constantly hear requests form others to pray for their pain…I find myself asking God for at least a small clue to why there is so much suffering in his world….at least twice a week.

 

We will probably never understand the deeper meaning behind suffering until we cross over into heaven and actually see the full glory of God.  We just are not given all the answers to every question we ask.  Just like I did when my children were smaller…I waited sometimes to answer some of the harder questions when I knew they were older…a bit more ready.

 

The writer of Ecclesiastes….a king named Koheleth …penned the beautiful words… “to everything there is a season”… in chapter 3.  He reminds us in verses 10-11…of the total control God has over the world.  It says…. “ I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race.  He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.”

 

I am thankful for the wisdom and faith of Paul.  He must have felt like Job many times in his suffering and imprisonments.  I am so glad God made him strong enough to give us the words in Romans 8:36-39 …. “ As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

 

Part of Job’s problem was that he was afraid that death would separate him from the deep love he had for God.  He had no hope if God could not be a part of his life. He saw so way out of his pain as long as God was not in the picture. Jesus is the only one who ever fully understood the full meaning of death…and the pain that comes from being separated from God.  He too cried out on the cross in Matthew 27:46… “About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ""Eloi, Eloi," "lama" "sabachthani?""--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" I find some strength in the mere fact that nothing I could ever face on Earth will ever equal Jesus’ suffering on the cross.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me that Life is not about me again.  Help me to never base my feelings for you on what blessings you give or take away…but on the reality of who you are.  Thank you for giving Reinhold Niebuhr the words to the beautiful serenity prayer…that helps remind me to ask you for the… serenity to accept the things I cannot change…and take one day at a time….accepting hardships as a pathway to a deeper relationship with you…and a peace that passes all understanding of any earthly concepts I know. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment