Wednesday, October 23, 2013

No Matter What...I Will Hope In God


Job 13:1-3 and 15-16 -  "My eyes have seen all this, my ears have heard and understood it.  What you know, I also know; I am not inferior to you.  But I desire to speak to the Almighty and to argue my case with God.

 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.  Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance, for no godless man would dare come before him!

 

Job knew deep in his heart that no human friend could answer his questions.  He called his friends worthless doctors…and told them to just be silent if they could not support his innocence. He longed to hear God speak to him…he wanted to meet with him face to face…and ask him why he tormented him so…even if it meant death.

 

Even though Job felt like a rotten tree…fallen and decaying….or a moth eaten coat…he clung to his faith in God.  If he was going down…he wanted to be holding God’s hand the whole way. He wanted so bad for God to just appear to him and explain all the pain. 

 

One of Job’s problems was that he hadn’t heard anything from God since his pain started. He wanted desperately for God to explain all this mess…and thought God’s silence meant he had rejected him. The possible rejection of God bothered him more than the physical pain and grief he felt at all his losses. He would rather be gone from this world…than live without the love and care of God.

 

Paul felt the same way close to the end of his ministry.  He suffered in ways that Job might understand…but that I have never experienced. In Philippians 1:20-21 he wrote  …. “ I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”  

 

My life should be a reflection of God…every moment I am left here on this Earth. I should long for time to speak with God like Job…and courage to live for Christ like Paul…no matter what he allows satan to tempt me with. I should see every moment as an opportunity to serve God…and every trial as a way to develop strength and courage to do more rigorous work for him.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I fall so short of your perfect plan for me.  Help me to long for time to spend talking and listening to you give me directions for this life…and see my disappointments and pain as a way to grow closer to you.  Turn my pity parties into appreciation parties.  Turn my tears into living water that will reveal your love to others around me. Turn my fears into courage.  Turn my doubts into confidence that you somehow have a purpose for all that you ask me to endure.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment