Friday, October 4, 2013

You Were Created...For Such A Time As This


Esther 4:14-16 -  For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"  Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai:  "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."

 

Esther lived in the sheltered world of the Palace….no clue that a letter had been sent out demanding the destruction of all her relatives.  She got word that Mordecai was distressed….and tried to send him new clothes....to end his mourning…but he refused. He sent her messenger back instead with the grim news that awaited her people….and begged her to intercede to the king for their lives.

 

At first…Esther was as numb as Mordecai.  She was stuck between the rules of the Palace that stated she could be killed for even asking for time to speak with the king….and the sure death that awaited her if the king knew she was a Jew as well.  Memories of what had happened to queen Vashti must have flooded her heart…but as Mordecai reminded her that she was a Jew…and might be found out anyway…she began to summon strength from the believers around her that realized before she did that God had a plan…and had placed her in the Palace for….”such a time as this.”

 

Esther’s fear and worry was replaced with resolve to do what she could to help her people as she realized that life was not just about her. When Esther began to step outside of the …I need to protect me mode….she gathered the courage she needed from God…..in fasting and prayer…to do what had to be done. She resolved in that moment to allow God to control her destiny…instead of the world’s edicts…and faith took over where human reasoning had stopped.

 

Just as it is written in 1 Corinthians 2:5… “So that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men (human philosophy), but in the power of God.” ….we must all begin to seek out what time we were born for.  God created all of us …for a specific purpose…and has placed us in just the right spot to do a mighty work for him.  I am not sure my priorities are in the right order to be able to accept my calling…and say with complete confidence….”if I perish…I perish…”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder this morning once again that the world does not revolve around me.  It revolves around your wonderful love…and the huge plan you set in place to save the world through the sacrifice your son made on that cross. Help me Lord to stop being so selfish…and begin to fast and pray for you to reveal my purpose…so I can begin to realize what time you created me for.  Give me the confidence…the courage…the faith….that powered Esther’s choice to allow you to be in complete control of her destiny.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment