Friday, October 11, 2013

Love Like Job


Job 1:20-22 -  At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship  and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."  In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

 

Job is credited with being one of the most righteous men mentioned in the Bible. He was good…God fearing…and kept evil at a distance. He sanctified his family at regular intervals…just in case any sin had crept into their lives.  God blessed him with a large family and a ranch with numerous livestock.  God was so proud of Job that he mentioned his goodness to satan one day.

 

Satan’s selfish …uncaring heart did not understand the love between God and Job…he saw it as simple cause and effect relationship. By saying … “sure he loves you…you have given him everything on a silver platter.  He won’t think so highly of you if you start taking all his blessings away.” Satan thought he would prove God wrong. But God’s all-knowing spirit could see to the depths of Job’s heart…and knew that nothing could happen that would keep Job from loving God.

 

Job’s faith was not based on his material wealth or his spouse…or his children.  Job’s unwavering love of God was based on the relationship he had with God.  Even after losing all he had but the clothes on his back…and a few servants that came as messengers…Job fell to his knees and worshiped God. He showed how much he loved and understood the heart of God by accepting everything that had happened as part of God’s plan. The world belongs to God…and it is his to do with what he pleases.

 

It is a reminder to me to count it all joy when hardships have come my way.  Perhaps I have tweaked a proudness in God over at least one thing I attempted to do for him…and satan has said…sure Barbara loves you…you have rotted her to death. James 2:2-3 says… “ My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.” 

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me that my relationship with you should be based on the pure love we can share…not the blessings you shower on us because of your love.  Help me to see the beautiful world and all that is in it as totally yours….constantly thanking and praising you for every day and every good thing you allow me to experience while you allow me to be placed here.  Draw me so close to you that nothing satan can attack or destroy will ever waver my love for you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment