Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Caution....God At Work


Job 5: 8-12 -  "But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him.  He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.  He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water upon the countryside.  The lowly he sets on high, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.  He thwarts the plans of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success.

 

Job’s friend Eliphaz continued his advice to Job.  It took on the nature of a long sermon…listing the frustrations of those who sin and then run from the need to confess it and repent.  His rant went on and on…telling Job over and over the only way to ease his pain was to repent…and confess whatever sin he had done to God…so he could be restored.

 

None of Eliphaz’s words were untrue...of someone who has truly sinned...but they did not fit Job’s situation.  We were told in chapter one that Job was blameless…even offering sacrifices for his children in advance…just in case.  God was so proud of Job’s righteousness…he bragged to satan about it.

 

It reminds me that we should not judge our friends on circumstances alone.  I am guilty…of looking at someone’s plight…and wondering what they did to deserve God’s punishment. But I should know better…I really don’t believe that the death of my spouse was in any way my fault.  Sometimes…God just allows things to happen that rock our world to build us into stronger people.

 

God knew the whole time he watched Job suffer…that he was able to endure to the end….like Jesus told us in Matthew 24:13… “but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” Job’s suffering was just the beginning of birth pains for our world.  Many years of suffering may still be ahead. Our only hope is to hold fast to God’s unfailing hand…and let him strengthen us just like he did Job.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me not to judge what I see as truth…until I have lifted all things up to you.  Let me not base what I feel about or say to others on my own experiences…but let you guide my every thought and reaction to the pain and suffering of others. And God…even though it is so very hard some days…I thank you for my pain.  I thank you that you have used it to help me grow and understand your love on a deeper level. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment