Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hold God's Hand Through Your Confusion


Job 21:22-24 -  "Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest?  One man dies in full vigor, completely secure and at ease,  his body well nourished, his bones rich with marrow. Another man dies in bitterness of soul, never having enjoyed anything good.  Side by side they lie in the dust, and worms cover them both.

 

Job was struggling with more than his physical pain and empty spirit. He had begun to look around him and see the many wicked people around him who were living better than him.  He was confused that God would allow him to suffer in his righteousness…and other people he had heard denounce God completely prosper.  He was jealous…allowing the familiar pity party to surface once more.

 

I am reminded of David…who struggled with the same feelings in Psalms 73.  He had also let himself have one huge pity party as he suffered and ran from Saul. He watched Saul prosper and go unpunished for trying to kill him.  He did not understand why God would anoint him king as a youth…then allow Saul to treat him so poorly. His confusion almost got the best of him too.

 

Even though Job and David were confused…they never let go of God’s hand.  They invited him to their pity parties…and constantly asked him to explain his reasons for their suffering. They called out to God for help in understanding….they sought his comfort from their pain.  They realized that God was in control…his wisdom would give them an answer in his time. Job asked the wise question in Job21:22…. “Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest?” just like David realized the only way to survive his pain was to hold on to God’s hand through his season of pain. He said in Psalms 73:26-28…  “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.”

 

Job and David must have sensed in their heart…what we are all told in revelation will happen to all the wicked who are permitted to prosper here on Earth…that mock God…and follow satan’s evil ways. Like the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16….God will pull the saved to his side in Heaven for all eternity…and lock the wicked away in eternal torment.   Revelation 20:11-15 says… “ Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.  And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.  The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.  Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.  If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was  Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.  And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.  The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.  Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.  If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me once again that you are in control…even when my pity parties take over…and I see no purpose for the pain you have allowed in my life.  Help me to draw so close to you…that I invite you to all the pity parties satan tricks me into having….so you can help me find a way to end it…and begin to see that my pain has purpose.  Help me to hold tight to your hand and wait for your will to be revealed.  Help me to study and pray for you to strengthen me in the midst of my storms…so you can get me to the other side….and the blessings that await me there. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment