Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cover Your Mouth...And Listen To God


Job 40:1-5 -  The LORD said to Job:  "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!"  Then Job answered the LORD:  "I am unworthy--how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.  I spoke once, but I have no answer-- twice, but I will say no more."

 

God continued to talk to Job…sounding just a bit ‘put out’ with this man he had chosen to show off to satan.  He brought his first set of questions to a close and asked Job if he had any of the answers. Job spoke only to let God know he could not…and was truly unworthy to even try. Then he covered his mouth to prevent any words from slipping out…humbled…ready to listen to anything God had to say to him.

 

Job was experiencing the same emotions that caused Paul to pen the great words of 1 Corinthians 15:9-10 - For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

 

God’s grace is a powerful tool…..once we learn to accept it.  God’s grace humbles us just enough to allow us to forgive ourselves for the years of sin we let creep into our lives. God’s grace gives us the power to keep going when we can’t see the next section of road.  God’s grace keeps our hearts in a state of readiness….so he can use us to help others.

 

God wants to give us all …just the perfect dose of humility…that will allow God’s grace to totally transform our lives like it did Paul. He might knock us off a horse and blind us for a few days like Paul…or let a huge whale swallow us so we have time to rethink what we did like Jonah.  God will do what it takes to grab hold of our hearts and help us realize who is in charge….him.

 

I will admit…I am not one who naturally closes her mouth and listens…so maybe the lesson this morning for me is to cover my mouth more…so I can hear the powerful words God wants to speak to me. Perhaps if I listened more to the still small voice of God….I would be more help to him.  I do admit that I am nothing…and will never accomplish anything with God’s powerful grace to help me.

 

Father… thank you for reminding me that I am nothing apart from your love and grace that saved me.  Help me to internalize the great words of Job….and cover my mouth more…so I can hear what you have to say. Teach me how to listen and be quiet…so you can feed me with your love and power to go out and do the work you need me to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment