Saturday, November 23, 2013

Kiss The Son...And Be Humble


Psalm 2:4-8 -  The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.  Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying, "I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill."  I will proclaim the decree of the LORD: He said to me, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father.  Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.

 

David wrote this reflective Psalm for the kings God chose to anoint in a time of turbulence and fighting. His prophetic message of a Messiah to come was meant to give the new king strength and courage to stand strong on God’s laws and be obedient to his word. It was meant to strike confidence in whomever took over as king until the Messiah came to take his place.

 

The message is really no different for us today.  Our world is still full of fighting and kings and rulers who don’t believe in God…despite the son he sent to save the world. He installed Jesus on the right hand side of the father in Heaven until he comes in glory to set up his kingdom here on Earth. Then he made all of us who do believe sons and daughters of his love….to try and spread the truth about his victory over death while we are here on Earth.

 

What David is really talking about here is submission. He says in verses 11-12… “ Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.  Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.” That kiss shows God and his son Jesus that we know who is in charge…and we accept him as the master and Lord of our lives. 

 

That admission of humility gives us a new power over the weaknesses satan had used against us in the past. We find a new freedom through our salvation in Christ that allows his love and grace to overcome the chains that bound us to the ways of the world.  God’s peace that passes all understanding begins to power our thoughts and actions each day…and we become tools of his love.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I must always be submissive to you.  Help me to recognize when I have let the world creep into my head and hide the truth from my heart.  Show me how to come to you daily and kiss your feet…and admit that I have no freedom apart from the grace and love you give. Help me to be obedient to your will in my life and always seek you in all that I do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment