Friday, November 29, 2013

In God I Trust...Singing Praises All The While


Psalm 7:1-2 and 17 -  O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust:  save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me:   Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver.  

I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness:  and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.  

 

David…hiding in caves…running for his life…had to be completely overwhelmed with why God would have allowed him to be so persecuted if he had chosen him to be king.  He could have at any moment taken off in a vengeful spree of killing …trying to rid himself of the problems that had him hiding in those caves.

 

But the key to David’s strength was the fact that he was trusting in God…even though he had no clue what God was doing and why.  Instead of acting on impulse and trying to fix his own problem …David chose to cry out to God and wait for God to fix it in his own time.

 

Here’s the most amazing thing….David was thankful through this whole ordeal. In the midst of all the junk he was having to deal with…he found time to tack a “thank you” on to his prayer. And what is even more amazing to me is that his thank you was not just mere words…he meant it with his whole heart.  And because God knows every thought that slips out of our mind…he knew David’s humble thanks was real.

 

It is a great reminder to me…this Thanksgiving Day…2013…to make sure I stop and say “Thank You” to God for all he has done.  Even with all my losses in the last few years…I am blessed to be gathered with my family this day.  I woke to the great smell of roasted turkey that had baked all night in mom’s oven. Nerf bullets from my nephew’s guns are flying around me as I try to process the great chapter of Psalms that I read last night.  You can’t see the smile on my face as I write…but God does...and the warmth of the smile he has on his face is what powers me through the days that are not so sweet as this one.

 

That must be the way David felt…hunkered down in that dark …damp cave.  It must have been the memories of the good times…the feeling he had when he was anointed as a young boy…that gave him the strength to bear the horrible conditions of his life at this point. Instead of giving up and trying to solve his own problem..he was will to wait on God to fix it for him…no matter how long it took.

 

Father…I thank you for all the good things you have put in my life…and I also thank you for all the bad things you have used to teach me more about your great love.  Help me to always keep an attitude of thanks for everything that happens…so I can be like David…and always remember that no matter how bad it seems…you are weaving some great plan to make it all better. Thank you for one more great Thanksgiving day with family….and feast of food to nourish my physical body. Thank you most of all for the truth of your great Bible…and the love of your son Jesus Christ…that died to save and give me eternal life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment