Friday, November 22, 2013

Is Your Relationship With God Superficial?


Psalms 1:1-3 -  Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

 

The book of Psalms starts with a great truth. We are never truly blessed until we delight in the Lord so much that we take the time to study his word.  The wisdom God is able to pour into our hearts during our conscious times of study…day and night…will give us the deep roots we need to flourish and produce the fruit that God always intended in our lives.

 

Dedicated Bible study builds a deep relationship with God…one that prods us to examine our ways and change them if they are not pleasing to God. Taking the time to reflect on the word we have read…allows God to help us see what we might need to change in our lives…for none of us have reached that ‘perfect level’ ….and have something that needs rearranging in our hearts.

 

Bible study helps to identify the good in our lives as well. As we read…we confirm that we have chosen the right path …and allow God to blow away even more ‘chaf’ from our lives.  The joy in our heart increases as we confirm that he is working good in our lives and the peace of Christ begins to cover the things we still don’t understand.

 

I will testify that nothing else in my life has given me more strength than reading the Bible each night.  I only read one chapter…but I do not sleep until I have opened his great book of wisdom and let the words speak to my heart. He helps me process it even further in the mornings as I sit to write…and let the words sink deep into my soul…so I can hear God tell me what to do with them.

 

I will also admit that the task sometimes becomes a routine…and I have to think about whether I am seeking him with passion and not just reading words.  I never want to think that what I do is enough….always seeking to deepen my relationship with God …never just accepting what I have as enough.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I must always seek a deeper relationship with you in all that I do.  Help me to never accept the present as the best it can be…but envision even more time with you studying and meditating on the great Bible you left here on Earth for us to live our lives by.  Help me to process just the part of it I need to change the things that you are not pleased with yet…and build a deep relationship with you that will help me fight off the temptations of satan. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment