Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Wake Up With God...And Hold His Hand All Day


Psalm 5:1-3-  Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing.  Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.  In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

 

David woke every morning with God on his heart and mind.  He spent time with him before he did anything else. We are not told if he stayed quietly in bed …or rose to his knees…or stood and called out to God as he gazed at Heaven.  We are just told that David started his day conversing with God….calling out his needs…then quietly listening for answers.

 

Regular communication with God is a must if we are to grow and learn how to live a life he is pleased with.  Paul says in Phillipians 4:6… “ Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Daniel pushed the concept to three times a day in Daniel 6:10 … “Now when Daniel knew that the document was signed, he entered his house (now in his roof chamber he had windows open toward Jerusalem); and he continued kneeling on his knees three times a day, praying and giving thanks before his God, as he had been doing previously.”  And Jesus disappeared into the mountains on a regular basis to talk with his father.

 

I’m still working on the constant attitude of prayer….but I will testify that my time with him in the mornings has become one of my favorite times of the day. It is hard to put in to words the feeling of comfort and peace that comes with the talks we have each morning as I write. I call out to him to come help me process the scripture I read the night before…and pause in silence as he feeds me the ideas and words to string together in my post. Some mornings it bubbles out quickly and confidently…and others it oozes out slow and unsure…but he has always met me…without fail for the last three years…every morning.

 

The time I spend with him has given me peace…confidence to move on…and helped me to grow in new understanding of his scripture.  God’s love has consoled me ….defended me…and shielded me….exactly when God knew I needed each manifestation of his love and care. That’s what David felt in verses 10 -12… “ Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you.  But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.  For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to maintain a constant attitude of prayer and communication with you.  Help me to increase the time I spend with you…and model for others as Daniel did how important my relationship with you is.  Thank you for the time you spend with me each morning…and teaching me how to listen to your spirit guide and teach my soul.  Thank you for helping me to understand the great wisdom you left for us to guide our lives.  Show me how to apply what you have taught me to the situations you allow me to walk through every day…so I can model your love for others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment