Monday, November 18, 2013

Give me Strength...And Clothe Me With Power


Job 39:19-22  -  "Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane?  Do you make him leap like a locust, striking terror with his proud snorting?  He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strength, and charges into the fray.  He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing; he does not shy away from the sword.

 

God continues to speak a multitude of questions to Job…using the animal world as his base.  He speaks of the mystery of a goat birth…the natural resourcefulness of a deer…the freedom of a wild donkey…and the rebellious nature of a wild ox. His questions are halted but just a moment while he describes the timid nature of an ostrich and the courageous personality he gave to the horse.

 

Job’s silence helped reinforce to my heart that the world God created is more intricate than Job… his friends ….or I would ever be able to explain in human terms. I couldn’t help but see myself in the ostrich he described. I was born a timid….overly extroverted person….who is inclined to bury her head in the sand when things get rough.  I do things without thinking of the responsibility involved in my commitments…and am driven internally to give up way too easy on things that are not flourishing within the parameters that my head sets.

 

I have always wanted to be more like the horse he described…courageous…strong….powerful….running into the confrontations of life with determination to win the battle around him. So far…I have only learned to do a fair impression of the vocal skills of the horse….my snort and whinny are quite convincing. But the ability to talk like a horse doesn’t impart to me the courage to finish the task…and laugh at fear…or face every sword that satan tries to battle me with.

 

I need to pray for some of that wisdom I am missing….and open my eyes and ears to the sound of the master….so he can help me to learn the ways of the mighty horse.  I need to pray that God give me a portion of his strength and courage…and ask God to place a bit in my mouth…so he can control my every movement.

 

Father…I thank you for the great reminders you have hidden in your word for me.  I ask you this day to help me move out of the natural sinful self that satan so easily controls…into the humble creature that you need me to be.  Show me how to tap into the wisdom you gave Solomon….and the courage you gave David…and the faith you gave Job. Empty me of the timidness that was born in me…and use your great power to transform the natural abilities you gave me into instruments to spread your words and truth to the world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment