Monday, November 25, 2013

Internalize Joy...And It Will Last Forever


Psalm 4:6-8 -  Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.  You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.  I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

 

David….running from his enemies…hiding in caves….at one of the lowest points in his life…wrote this great truth about God. Even though his life was an Earthly mess….God had filled his soul with a Heavenly joy that no man could take away. David was ready to trade any Earthly comfort and wealth he had ever known….to stay close to the light of God’s face.

 

David had learned to internalize the love of God and let it set up house in his heart.  Even though his life was a mess….his family had gone crazy…and his wealth was far away in the palace….he could lay his head down and fall asleep a happy content man.  His joy came from an internal reservoir of love from God…not the wealth God had blessed him with in his lifetime.

 

Happiness that comes from material possessions will never last. It is temporary…and will eventually fade as the newness of the possession fades away with time. This kind of happiness requires a bigger house….a newer car.  It tricks us into giving up on marriages and looking for someone that might be a better fit.  It tricks us into thinking that something big enough…or new enough…can give us the same internal joy that only comes from God.

 

The truth is that only God’s love will plant itself in our heart permanently.  It comes only through salvation in Christ Jesus….and is cultivated by daily prayer and Bible study.  The deeper the roots of his love grow down into our souls...the harder it is for satan to try and steal it from us. Jesus told his disciples in John 16:22…just before he ascended into Heaven…  So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that you have planted a lasting joy in my heart. Help me to cultivate the seed of joy that you gave me into an overflowing spring for others to see. Give me the courage and peace to know that no matter what…you are just a call away…listening…waiting to return.  Help me to remember that no blessing you have given me on Earth is even close to the splendor and glory I will see when I meet you face to face someday.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment